The Performance Pro

Thursday, April 18, 2013


ARE YOU READY?

 Recently, my phone rang just before noon. It was a panicked meeting planner who’s organization had a Banquet that evening and the speaker for the Banquet was grounded at an airport out East due to bad weather. It just happened that my calendar was open that afternoon and I was able to step in at the last moment. I was happy to be able to help them out. In retrospect I realize that I was able to accept the opportunity successfully because I keep masters of my handouts and had a good supply of program needs on hand. Since I had little time to prepare, it would have been easy for me to fall short. But three and a half-hours later, I was in my car with 130 customized handouts, give-aways, program tools and products for sale.

At first I thought I was "lucky" to have added another engagement to my week. Then I realized it was an important lesson. While I was so very grateful for the phone call, it was really my state-of-preparedness that made it happen. On another day, it may have been a different story.

How many times do opportunities come knocking on our door -- and for one reason or another-- we don’t or aren’t able to respond? Do we feel we would fall short of expectations or in truth, are we just not prepared. Most often, we all get caught up in the "now" and fall short in our ‘long term’ planning. We don’t even consider all the possibilities.

In your wildest dreams:

-What do you wish would happen in your day?
-What opportunity would you wish for in your life?
-What do you need to do now to be ready?

"Luck is the intersection where preparedness meets opportunity."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home